200@200 : October — To Govern and Serve
Date:
1876
Title:
Old City Hall Building: Charles Zollinger Portrait
Description:
In 1892, Mayor Charles Zollinger and his administration commissioned architects John F. Wing and Marshall S. Mahurin to devise plans for a new City Building on the southeast corner of Berry and Barr Streets. With its Richardsonian Romanesque style, many local residents dubbed it the "Hapsburg Horror" due to its imposing, castle—like appearance. The new building cost $69,256 and was dedicated in April 1893. The building remained the epicenter of city business until 1971, when Mayor Harold Zeis locked the building and walked with the city employees to the new City—County Building (now the Rousseau Center) at the corner of Clinton and Main Streets.

In 1980, the Allen County—Fort Wayne Historical Society acquired the building and, after an extensive renovation funded by a federal grant of $350,000 and a matching $100,000 grant from the city, moved out of the old Swinney Homestead and into the former City Building. With more than 28,000 square feet of usable space, the historic building allows the museum to accomplish its mission of serving present and future generations of Fort Wayne and Allen County. The Old City Hall Museum was rechristened the History Center in 2002.

Charles Zollinger served as a colonel in the Civil War. From 1871—1873, he was sheriff of Allen County. Zollinger was elected mayor of Fort Wayne in 1873 and served three subsequent terms until 1885. Elected to a fourth term in 1891, Zollinger served as mayor until his death in 1893. This 1876 portrait commemorates his service to Fort Wayne and Allen County. After his death, Zollinger laid in state in the city council chambers inside the newly completely City Building; thousands of citizens passed through to pay their respects.
Click to Enlarge
Mayor Zollinger, 1876Mayor Zollinger, 1876
City Building, 1894City Building, 1894
City Building, 1916City Building, 1916